Project Partners: Strathcona County, Kiley Marchuk
- Outplantings were installed in upland riparian habitat, inundated shorelines, and novel island ecosystems
- Wide range of stock conditions included live stakes, bare root plugs, potted stock, and native grass seed
- 30,000 m2 of land naturalized in conventional terrestrial and aquatic habitats, and recently created island ecosystems create through geotechnical failure.
- Multiple treatments of Liquified Compost Extract (LCE) to ameliorate low nutrient, compact soil, and increase success of early plant establishment.
Project Partners: BGC Engineering, Simpcw First Nation, TransMountain, CN Rail, Polster Environmental Services
- Using soil bioengineering solution, over 18,000 live stakes of Populus Balsamifera planted for slope stabilization above railway in Fall of 2019
- 2500 m2 of land stabilized to protect transportation and resource service corridor from geotechnical failure
- High density formation at 7.2 stakes per m2
- Successful habitat stabilization through local, early successional native vegetative outplanting
Project Partners: City of Toronto
- Since 2008, Brinkman has successfully bid the majority of City of Toronto naturalization work, averaging approximately 40,000 trees and shrubs each year.
- Conditions of plants installed include live whips, bare-root, and potted stock, in a variety of sizes.
- Planting sites range in size and type, from 100m2 to 20,000m2, from riparian zones, old dumpsites, freeway medians/clover-leaves, park augmentations, etc.
Project Partners: Vineland Research and Innovation Center
- Applying our services as they work to develop criteria for cost effective naturalization strategies on MTO easements.
- This work showcases our specialized tilling and deep soiling approaches as well as addition of soil amendment, mulches, and varied planting practices as directed by Vineland staff.
Project Partners: City of Brampton
- We have been pleased to be part of the Parks and Open Space projects over four seasons.
- Each year we have planted roughly 20,000 whips and shrubs, and 1000 calipers.
- Each year included the addition of soil amendment and tilling in excess of 15,000m2.
Project Partners: City of Toronto, GO Transit
- Our most recent retaining wall was a combination Green Terramesh® system and stone gabion.
- At its highest it was 8m with a total length of 216m.
- This wall wrapped around a condominium foundation on an industrial brownfield next to a CN line, offering many challenges to foundation works and coordinating shared access issues with other contractors.
- Our team also installed a vibration barrier within the wall that is equal in height and length to the wall.
Project partners: Mark Adams, ECL Envirowest
- Construction of wattle grid on riprap slope face (6000 m2)
- Installation of 7000 m3 of custom blended soils
- Installation of 25000 pacific northwest native intertidal and wetland plants
- Installation of 5000 shrubs and trees in upper riparian areas
- Overall establishment of 6,000 m2 of intertidal habitat and 5,000 m2 of riparian habitat
Project partners: Werner Kuemmlin, City of Brampton
- 60,000 m2 of intensive site preparation including layout, mowing, tilling, and installation of amendment (3000 m3) and mulch (6000 m3)
- Installation of over 60,000 potted shrubs, 3,000 potted trees and 1000 caliper trees
- 24 months establishment maintenance including irrigation, fertilization and replacements
- First rotation replacements totalled less than 5% of material planted
Project Partners: Dave Matsubara, Kerr Wood Leidel Associates
- Supply & insallation of 500 m2 of vegetated geowrap slope treatment
- Sourcing & supply of custom blended fast draining growing medium
- supply & Installation of live cuttings, trees and shrubs
- Installation of automatic irrigation system
- 12 months of establishment maintainance
- Establishment success: 98% on trees/shrubs, 100% on grasses and wetlands bench plants